China Focus and the 21st Century China Center at UCSD GPS proudly announce the 2017 China Focus Essay Contest. The third annual contest invites students from the University of California system and Fudan University to submit an essay reflecting on U.S.-China relations.
Two winners will each receive a $1,000 cash prize. Winners and finalists will have the opportunity to publish their work with China Focus. Finalists will be notified by late September and winners will be announced in December.
Has the election of Donald Trump handed the 21st Century to China?
Each entry must be the original work by a student enrolled in the 10 campuses of the University of California system or Fudan University for the 2016-17 academic year. Collaborative projects are encouraged (as long as one of the co-authors is affiliated with a UC campus or Fudan), but prize money must be split among the collaborators. The contest is open to undergraduate and graduate students only. Entries must be in English.
Essays should be written in op-ed style (not academic, footnoted papers) with a length of 1,000-2,000 words.
CONTEST DEADLINE: May 31, 2017
CONTEST PRIZE: Two $1,000 prizes
Each entry will be reviewed by a panel of judges drawn from the China Focus board of advisers: Xu Xian, Lei Guang, Susan Shirk, Karl Gerth and Barry Naughton
HOW TO ENTER:
1. Send your submission to us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject heading: CFContest-Last Name
2. Send from your university email address. Submissions only are permitted from .edu emails from Fudan University and the UC system.
3. Send your essay as a PDF in an email attachment.
4. Please include the full name, school affiliation at the end of the essay or in the video description in the following format:
UC San Diego
Ph.D. Student in Political Science, 4th year American
Any questions? Please contact Thomas Murphey (email@example.com).
Please click here for the 2017 Flyer, and share with any interested parties.
Latest posts by Thomas Murphey (see all)
- Announcing: 2017 China Focus Essay Contest - April 10, 2017
- Bipartisan Task Force: US-China Relations facing a “Blank Slate” - March 2, 2017
- Navigating Chinese Roads: Three Questions with Michael Dunne - October 12, 2016